[Taxacom] Nomenclatural availability of preliminary electronic versions of taxonomic papers

Scott Thomson scott.thomson321 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 17:38:55 CDT 2015

Hi Frank,

I find this an interesting topic and have a question, I am currently
reading both yours and Alain's papers. I accept this is a rare scenario
however it does happen. In the event of a later reviewer of a taxonomic
work which has named several species in the same work, decides the taxa are
not all valid and wishes to synonymise them into less taxa (hypothetical
example here) if we are accepting the final immutable version whether or
not it has the metadata are you suggesting that if we need to use
pagination for determining priority, we take that by implication? By that I
mean just use the logical sequence of the pages to determine priority. Or
once the version with the metadata is out use that to determine the
sequence of the descriptions, but use the date of the final immutable
version as the date of publication? There are very old texts where that was
necessary so its not without precedent however to my knowledge no recent
papers required this.

Sorry for what sounds like a nit picking question, its not meant to be, I
just like to see the bases covered and its a difficulty that came to mind.

Cheers, Scott

--
Scott Thomson
Museu de Zoologia da Universidade de São Paulo