[Taxacom] Nomenclatural availability of preliminary electronic versions of taxonomic papers

Frank T. Krell Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Tue Oct 13 18:11:08 CDT 2015

This is almost true, Stephen. There is indeed no mandatory page priority in zoological nomenclature. It is merely a convention some people like to follow (often because they think that there is something like page priority in the Code).
However, we have Recommentation 69A.10, referring to the selection of type species: "All otherthings being equal, preference should be given to the nominal species cited first in the work, page or line ("position precedence")." This is a non-mandatory Recommendation, and we have to see if it survives the editing process for the next Code. I am not sure that this Recommendation makes much sense.

Position precedence works well with a changing set of page numbers, e.g. when an early electronic publication with page numbers 1-11 gets integrated into a journal issue and ends up to be on pages 254-265. As long as the pagination goes in single steps from the lower to the higher number, there is no problem at all to determine position precedence :-)

Of course, for cataloguers changing page numbers are very inconvenient, but as long as we still have journal issues to be compiled after the early electronic publication of the papers, this is an inconvenience we will have to live with, and we can easily live with. In catalogues I would just use the page numbers of the paper integrated in a journal issue, and not the former page numbers of the early electronic publication, because the journal pagination is there to stay.

Cheers

Frank

Dr. Frank-T. Krell, Chair, ZooBank Committee
http://zoobank.org
Curator of Entomology
Department of Zoology
Denver Museum of Nature & Science