[Taxacom] Nomenclatural availability of preliminary electronic versions of taxonomic papers

Laurent Raty l.raty at skynet.be
Fri Oct 16 06:14:20 CDT 2015

It is actually not at all clear from the wording of the Amendment itself
that the requirement of "fixed content and layout" has any role to play
in the problem of preliminary versions.

"8.1.3.2. widely accessible electronic copies with fixed content and layout.
Example: PDF/A (Portable Document Format Archive), described by ISO
Standard 19005-1:2005, is a file format that allows content and layout
to be preserved unchanged."

The example citing PDF/A is a strong suggestion that the aim of this
part of the Article is to make sure that *each "copy"* has a "fixed
content and layout": that content and layout won't be altered with time
(e.g.., due to things outside the file having changed). This is what
PDF/A is supposed to care for. (But note that, in practice, extremely
few publishers seem to use PDF/A.)

If this is what the "fixed content and layout" requirement is about,
determining whether "early" versions can be regarded available may have
much more to do with deciding whether they can be regarded "electronic
copies" of the "final" version (each version having its own fixed
content and layout). Unfortunately, "electronic copy" is not defined in
the Code.

It may be interesting to note, here, that a significant number of
publishers actually alter their PDF files *continuously*, even after
pagination is finalized: the most frequent case being publishers who add
tags, often on every page, that indicate by whom and when the file was
downloaded from their website. On a quick check, at least Annual
Reviews, Cambridge, Oxford, Science, Taylor & Francis, and the Royal
Society do this sort of thing. Each "copy" downloaded from one of these
publishers will in fact be a different file, generated on demand; it
will also always differ from what the publishers actually archived on
their own servers--where works might in fact conceivably not be stored
in PDF format at all, and might also conceivably often not be archived
as a unique file.

Cheers, Laurent -