[Taxacom] Nomenclatural availability of preliminary electronic versions of taxonomic papers

Scott Thomson scott.thomson321 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 08:47:32 CDT 2015

us. The world of publishing has more or less moved beyond hard copy
journals and what few are left may soon cease to exist in that form. Just
look at why Zootaxa is so popular.

final version if you count the adding of #tags as a part of the document.
To me these are advertising and not part of the substance of the article,
maybe encourage that the version downloaded or the print friendly version
should be retrieved from a stored pdf/a and recommend publishers state that
the download or printed copy will be retrieved this way. This would leave
publishers free to advertise and make their income.

I also agree that in general there are online journals that do not do all
this well. I am not as yet sure how best to deal with that in a way that
both meets our expectations and the reality that the journal is a business.
Aart from being a taxonomist i am also a programmer i know that the
journals websites could be designed in a way more respectful of our needs,
while still fullfilling theirs.

I think the code moved to quickly into this area, i know it was pushed,
however there are many considerations in a fast evolving and dynamic area.

Cheers Scott