[Taxacom] Nomenclatural availability of preliminary electronic versions of taxonomic papers

Adam Cotton adamcot at cscoms.com
Fri Oct 16 11:33:17 CDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Noyes" <j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk>
To: "'Laurent Raty'" <l.raty at skynet.be>; <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2015 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Nomenclatural availability of preliminary electronic
versions of taxonomic papers

> The page number must definitely be fixed. Otherwise it might become a
> nightmare, or at best a confusing pain, to give a meaningful citation to a
> nomenclatural act in on-line or even hard copy databases/catalogues,
> especially where longer publications are concerned. That is the absolute
> crux of the matter. If the text and other associated details remain the
> same then I have absolutely no problem. It is the change in page number
> between early pubs and final pubs that makes all the difference!
>
> John

While I agree with John about the importance of page numbering, I don't seem
to have seen mention in this thread any consideration of the availability
under the ICZN Code of nomenclatorial acts published in papers with online
early versions. If these early versions do not include statements to fulfil
all requirements for electronic publications under the Code then
nomenclatorial acts are not available from those versions anyway. Similarly,
if the final journal volume paginated electronic version does not comply
with Code requirements then only the printed version (assuming there is one)
confers availability on any nomenclatorial acts in the paper; and if there
is no printed version then they are not available even after the final
version is e-published.

Since taxonomic acts are not governed by the ICZN Code, any taxonomic acts
published in the early view versions probably should be cited from those
publications if citation is necessary.

Adam.