[Taxacom] Fw: Citing Authors for Animals

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 15:09:33 CDT 2015

Hi Mary,

I don't think anyone replied to one of your original questions regarding
citing authorship for higher ranks: yes, these also have authors (and
years), although many publications neglect to include them. For example:

(Order) Primates Linnaeus, 1758
(Family) Hominidae Gray, 1825

One benefit of this is that it permits the discrimination of family-level
homonyms, of which some exist. Another is that it provides a pointer to the
relevant literature in which the names were erected. A third is that it
provides some insight into the historical sequence of the taxonomy of the
group or name in question (recent or long-established, etc.)

So I would suggest that even where these are absent or unknown in the
source you are using, you leave a slot for them in your database in case
you want to populate these at some time.

Hope this helps,

Best regards - Tony

--
Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia