[Taxacom] Fw: Citing Authors for Animals

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Oct 17 16:31:36 CDT 2015

Actually, in zoology, names above superfamily do not have authors or dates, though this fact is widely misunderstood. I think about it this way: the author and date of a name (superfamily down to subspecies) is not necessarily the date that the name was first published (publication it was first published in). Rather, it is the date that it was first published in a Code compliant way. Since the Code is silent on names above superfamily, there is no such thing as Code compliance for these names. Therefore there is no meaningful author/date.

Stephen