[Taxacom] Nomenclatural availability of preliminary electronic versions of taxonomic papers

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Sun Oct 18 02:11:00 CDT 2015


And let's not forget the citation of later homonyms,
featuring, IIRC, "nec" instead of "non".

Paul

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Mary Barkworth" <Mary.Barkworth at usu.edu>
To: "Chuck Miller" <Chuck.Miller at mobot.org>; <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
Cc: "John Noyes" <j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk>; <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2015 1:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Nomenclatural availability of preliminary electronic
versions of taxonomic papers


> Love it!
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Taxacom [mailto:taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] On Behalf Of
> Chuck Miller
> Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2015 5:02 PM
> To: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
> Cc: John Noyes <j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk>; taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Nomenclatural availability of preliminary
> electronic versions of taxonomic papers
>
> When SkyNet becomes self aware, it instantaneously resolves all names,
> concepts and identifiers to a single Unity and then embarks to destroy all
> humans to prevent future corruption of its perfection.
>
>> On Oct 16, 2015, at 1:17 PM, Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> <rant>
>>
>> The answer has always been obvious to me.  In the age of the emerging
>> internet (and yes, it is very-much still emerging -- we've only just
>> begun to see the changes to information exchange amongst humans), we need
>> to fundamentally re-think how we establish nomenclatural availability (at
>> least for as long as we continue to use Linnean nomenclature).
>>
>> For 250 years, the practice of taxonomy has grown in a context where the
>> primary mechanism of information exchange among humans was ink symbols
>> affixed to "very thin slices of wood" (as Paul Kirk likes to say). For
>> more than a hundred years, the Codes of nomenclature have been framed
>> around that fundamental foundation (paper-printed works).  Now, and in
>> the near-term future, the primary mechanism of information exchange is to
>> transmit binary data encoded in standardized formats (UTF-8, JPEG, PDF,
>> etc.) via the internet.  The Commission had to scramble to accommodate
>> this rapid paradigm shift in the form of an Amendment to the Code, but
>> that was really just a temporary band-aid.
>>
>> For the next edition of the Code, I sincerely hope we can fundamentally
>> change the way in which new names are established and anchored to
>> biological organisms. Specifically, rather than awkwardly try to
>> force-fit our legacy system (ink-on-paper) into an electronic form (e.g.,
>> PDFs, with arbitrary and artificial "pages"), we should re-engineer the
>> entire process in such a way that we EMBRACE the potential for electronic
>> information exchange and management.  The simplest step in that direction
>> is to de-couple the scientific notion of "Publication" from the legal
>> process of nomenclatural availability.  In other words:
>> "registered=available".
>>
>> The devil is in the details, of course -- and in this case, it's about
>> what "registered" actually means.  I'm not talking about what ZooBank
>> currently does.  I'm talking about a brave new approach that re-crafts
>> the rules for nomenclatural availability into a form that can be
>> translated into pure logical rules that computer algorithms can
>> rigorously enforce.  If done right, Homonymy can be eliminated entirely,
>> Synonymy can likely be reduced (and when it exists, much more easily
>> managed), and we will NEVER AGAIN have to argue about what constitutes a
>> "published work" in the sense of the Code.  This is just the tip of the
>> iceberg for how we can simultaneously improve nomenclatural stability AND
>> increase access to information through embracing the electronic
>> information paradigm, rather than futzing around the edges of it (as we
>> do now).
>>
>> </rant>
>>
>> Aloha,
>> Rich
>>
>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Taxacom [mailto:taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] On Behalf
>>> Of Roderic Page
>>> Sent: Friday, October 16, 2015 7:09 AM
>>> To: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
>>> Cc: John Noyes
>>> Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Nomenclatural availability of preliminary
>>> electronic versions of taxonomic papers
>>>
>>> Hopefully eBooks (similar to Kindle), HTML, XML will never be
>>> accepted as pubs under the Code because they are dynamic.
>>>
>>> And that, in a nutshell, is why some of us despair at the current
>>> state of taxonomy. Do we really wish that some of the more innovative
>>> means of publishing (never mind what will come in the future) are never
>>> accepted.
>>> Never, really?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Rod
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------
>>> Roderic Page
>>> Professor of Taxonomy
>>> Institute of Biodiversity, Animal Health and Comparative Medicine
>>> College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences Graham Kerr Building
>>> University of Glasgow Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
>>>
>>> Email:  Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk<mailto:Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk>
>>> Tel:  +44 141 330 4778
>>> Skype:  rdmpage
>>> Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/rdmpage
>>> LinkedIn:  http://uk.linkedin.com/in/rdmpage
>>> Twitter:  http://twitter.com/rdmpage
>>> Blog:  http://iphylo.blogspot.com
>>> ORCID:  http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7101-9767
>>> Citations:
>>> http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?hl=en&user=4Z5WABAAAAAJ
>>> ResearchGate https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Roderic_Page
>>>
>>>
>>> On 16 Oct 2015, at 17:48, John Noyes
>>> <j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk<mailto:j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Rod,
>>>
>>> What you are talking about here (E-books etc.) are not publications
>>> under the ICZN so they are not really relevant. We are only talking
>>> about e-pubs that are accepted under the current Code. Hopefully
>>> eBooks (similar to Kindle), HTML, XML will never be accepted as pubs
>>> under the Code because they are dynamic.
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>>> John Noyes
>>> Scientific Associate
>>> Department of Life Sciences
>>> Natural History Museum
>>> Cromwell Road
>>> South Kensington
>>> London SW7 5BD
>>> UK
>>> jsn at nhm.ac.uk<mailto:jsn at nhm.ac.uk>
>>> Tel.: +44 (0) 207 942 5594
>>> Fax.: +44 (0) 207 942 5229
>>>
>>> Universal Chalcidoidea Database (everything you wanted to know about
>>> chalcidoids and more):
>>> www.nhm.ac.uk/chalcidoids<http://www.nhm.ac.uk/chalcidoids>
>>>
>>> From: Roderic Page [mailto:Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk]
>>> Sent: 16 October 2015 17:40
>>> To:
>>> taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu<mailto:taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
>>> Cc: Laurent Raty; John Noyes
>>> Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Nomenclatural availability of preliminary
>>> electronic versions of taxonomic papers
>>>
>>> Isn’t part of the issue here that we are applying one notion of
>>> locating text (page number) to a situation where the notion of “page”
>>> may be fuzzy at best?
>>>
>>> Documents such as web pages or eBooks either don’t have pages, or the
>>> “page” may change depending on font size, device screen, etc.
>>>
>>> People who develop software to annotate web pages, eBook pages, etc.
>>> have multiple ways of locating bits of text, such as XPaths
>>> [fragments of the HTML or XML that may underly the document], text
>>> fragments before and after, number of characters into the document,
>>> etc. These work, as anyone highlighting text in the Kindle app or
>>> iBooks, or indeed Google Docs or Word will attest.
>>>
>>> The nature of “publication" has changed, so we need to embrace more
>>> general notions of location in documents. This is a problem others
>>> have faced, and solved.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Rod
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------
>>> Roderic Page
>>> Professor of Taxonomy
>>> Institute of Biodiversity, Animal Health and Comparative Medicine
>>> College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences Graham Kerr Building
>>> University of Glasgow Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
>>>
>>> Email:  Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk<mailto:Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk>
>>> Tel:  +44 141 330 4778
>>> Skype:  rdmpage
>>> Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/rdmpage
>>> LinkedIn:  http://uk.linkedin.com/in/rdmpage
>>> Twitter:  http://twitter.com/rdmpage
>>> Blog:  http://iphylo.blogspot.com<http://iphylo.blogspot.com/>
>>> ORCID:  http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7101-9767
>>> Citations:
>>> http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?hl=en&user=4Z5WABAAAAAJ
>>> ResearchGate https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Roderic_Page
>>>
>>> On 16 Oct 2015, at 16:33, John Noyes
>>> <j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk<mailto:j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The page number must definitely be fixed. Otherwise it might become a
>>> nightmare, or at best a confusing pain, to give a meaningful citation
>>> to a nomenclatural act in on-line or even hard copy
>>> databases/catalogues, especially where longer publications are
>>> concerned. That is the absolute crux of the matter. If the text and
>>> other associated details remain the same then I have absolutely no
>>> problem. It is the change in page number between early pubs and final
>>> pubs that makes all the difference!
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>>> John Noyes
>>> Scientific Associate
>>> Department of Life Sciences
>>> Natural History Museum
>>> Cromwell Road
>>> South Kensington
>>> London SW7 5BD
>>> UK
>>> jsn at nhm.ac.uk<mailto:jsn at nhm.ac.uk>
>>> Tel.: +44 (0) 207 942 5594
>>> Fax.: +44 (0) 207 942 5229
>>>
>>> Universal Chalcidoidea Database (everything you wanted to know about
>>> chalcidoids and more):
>>> www.nhm.ac.uk/chalcidoids<http://www.nhm.ac.uk/chalcidoids>
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Taxacom [mailto:taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] On Behalf
>>> Of Laurent Raty
>>> Sent: 16 October 2015 16:21
>>> To:
>>> taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu<mailto:taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
>>> Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Nomenclatural availability of preliminary
>>> electronic versions of taxonomic papers
>>>
>>> On 10/16/2015 03:47 PM, Scott Thomson wrote:
>>>
>>> In response to Laurent. I agree there seems to be no real and
>>> absolute final version if you count the adding of #tags as a part of the
>>> document.
>>>
>>> Well, I think that, ideally, it should (have) be(en) possible for the
>>> user to assess the integrity of a work distributed electronically. If
>>> a publication had been defined as a given distributed file, with a
>>> fixed sequence of bytes, this would (have) be(en) fully
>>> straightforward--all it requires is that a checksum value be released
>>> together with the original work. This is fairly standard practice for
>>> other types of files distributed through the Internet.
>>> Assessing the integrity of a "content and layout", if the file is
>>> allowed to change, is at best a nightmare.
>>>
>>> OTOH, I'm not sure there's a real, deep, qualitative difference
>>> between allowing file alteration as a result of a change in a
>>> download date and ip address added to the footer, and allowing file
>>> alteration as a result of a change in a page number added to the header.
>>> Thus if you *must* allow the file to change, is it really worth the
>>> effort to require that the page numbers be fixed...?
>>>
>>> L -
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Taxacom Mailing List
>>> Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu<mailto:Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
>>> http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/taxacom
>>> The Taxacom Archive back to 1992 may be searched at:
>>> http://taxacom.markmail.org<http://taxacom.markmail.org/>
>>>
>>> Celebrating 28 years of Taxacom in 2015.
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Taxacom Mailing List
>>> Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu<mailto:Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
>>> http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/taxacom
>>> The Taxacom Archive back to 1992 may be searched at:
>>> http://taxacom.markmail.org<http://taxacom.markmail.org/>
>>>
>>> Celebrating 28 years of Taxacom in 2015.
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Taxacom Mailing List
>>> Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
>>> http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/taxacom
>>> The Taxacom Archive back to 1992 may be searched at:
>>> http://taxacom.markmail.org
>>>
>>> Celebrating 28 years of Taxacom in 2015.
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Taxacom Mailing List
> Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/taxacom
> The Taxacom Archive back to 1992 may be searched at:
> http://taxacom.markmail.org
>
> Celebrating 28 years of Taxacom in 2015.
> _______________________________________________
> Taxacom Mailing List
> Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/taxacom
> The Taxacom Archive back to 1992 may be searched at:
> http://taxacom.markmail.org
>
> Celebrating 28 years of Taxacom in 2015.
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2015.0.6140 / Virusdatabase: 4447/10835 - datum van uitgifte:
> 10/17/15
>




More information about the Taxacom mailing list