[Taxacom] Citing Authors for Animals

Frank T. Krell Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Sun Oct 18 11:09:06 CDT 2015

While what Francisco says is highly desirable, according to the zoological Code, the author is not part of a scientific name. It is, however, customary and very useful to cite it. In the words of the Code Art. 51.1.: "The name of the author does not form part of the name of a taxon and its citation is optional, although customary and often advisable."
Also, the citation of authors of new combinations is possible, and I do it always in my catalogues (ICZN Rec. 51G). The Code gives the example Methiolopsis geniculatus (Stal, 1878) Rehn, 1957
While this gives additional information (which I highly appreciate), editors are generally opposed, mostly with the argument: "We are not botanists!!!"
Zoologists don't do this, because they don't do this. So you will find such information rarely.
The comma between author and year is optional indeed. It was mandatory in former Codes.
Cheers

Frank

Dr. Frank-T. Krell
Curator of Entomology
Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
Department of Zoology
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492
lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab

Another killer exhibition. The Power of Poison is now open. And test your powers of observation in The International Exhibition of Sherlock Holmes, opening October 23.

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD).