[Taxacom] Citing Authors for Animals

Scott Thomson scott.thomson321 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 16:45:19 CDT 2015

Hi Tony,

Although i acknowledge it requires some work to disambiguate author names,
and yes I do this for turtles only, it is not impossible. All you need is a
table in your database which is primary keyed to real name but also has a
field of display name, which is not required to be unique. The database can
then run appropriate queries on this and deal with those of us with common
names.

I agree with Stephen here, in the modern world of the web people expect all
the data, the name should at least kink to the citation, if not a pdf. I
get the latter is not always possible. It is not hard to do, even excel
could do it, though i would recommend sql.

Cheers Scott.