[Taxacom] Citing Authors for Animals

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Mon Oct 19 01:52:11 CDT 2015

> Well, a different taxonomic point of view is the 'spice' of taxonomy (...
> variety is the spice of life) and there are systems which can model this, one
> being the GNUB (cue Rich).

Thanks...but.... I've already way over-extended my personal Taxacom quota for the month.  I'll let this one go....

:-)

> I guess all I'm saying is leave the names to
> nomenclators (e.g. IF), the taxonomy to checklists (e.g. SF, CoL, Eschmeyer's
> Catalogue of Fishes [couldn't resist correcting the English]) and store ID
> (local IDs, LSIDs, GUIDs) from these sources in your database.

One point of clarity:  Eschmeyer's CoF is MUCH more of a nomenclator than a checklist. Yes, it does some taxonomy/checklist stuff too; but first and foremost it's a database of names.

Aloha,
Rich