[Taxacom] another ebay auction of naming rights

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 12:42:29 CDT 2015

Interesting comments from article:

“It’s getting harder and harder to get funding to do this research because
it’s not seen as a priority in the way it used to be, even though it’s
fundamental to our understanding of biodiversity,” said Viscardi.

“Any mechanism where you can raise more funds to continue your work is
taken—so I guess [auctioning of the naming rights] is another way to fund
your research.”

While the bids might give rise to a more democratic naming process, Dave
Goulson, a biologist at Sussex University and a fellow at the Royal
Entomology Association, expressed qualms.

“I think scientific names should, where possible, help to describe the
species. I'm imagining Bombus pepsii, Apis adidas etc....? Don't YOU think
that would be awful!?” he said in an email.

To rephrase "Don't YOU think that it is awful that financial resources for
taxonomy are so degraded that this becomes necessary?" I wonder if the
"biologist" Dave Goulson is a taxonomist, and if so, presumably he has all
the funding he needs so he does not have to contemplate such possibilities.

John Grehan