[Taxacom] another ebay auction of naming rights

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 18:15:05 CDT 2015

I thought Doug Yanega brought up some very pertinent issues. I would also
add whether there might be a situation where an institution might require
of its own taxonomy staff to put all new species up for auction as a way to
derive income (probably small in most cases) for that institution (and
possibly also benefit with continued publicity).

While no one may get personally rich from NSF grants it is my understanding
(perhaps erroneous)  that in at least some universities career advancement
and even salary level is tied to success with NSF grants (so that in a
sense some of the overhead ends up contributing to salary).

John Grehan