[Taxacom] more dead bodies...

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Tue Oct 20 14:46:09 CDT 2015

I do not agree with Filardi and belong to those who have serious
concerns to killig rare animals for purposes of scientific study.
I do not kill new species of terrestrial molluscs if I know they could
be rare. The estimation of 1500 or 4000 birds is somewhat speculative
and seems not be based on reliable results of a scientific study.

It is also the global reputation of science that suffers. As zoologists
we are widely recognised as experts, since we know more about these
animals than most people do. We carry a special responsibility.

Another undesired effect is that country authorities may enhance
difficulties for scientific work in the last remaining reserves of
nature, if more pressure is coming up to take such decisions. Field
research is confronted with increasing problems.

Mining companies who like to destroy nature could easily argue that the
birds cannot be so rare if even experts kill them. It is usually those
guys who have good contact to governments, not the scientists who could
correct such arguments and explain them the details.

Francisco
University of Goettingen, Germany