[Taxacom] Is there a taxon named after Wikipedia?

Peter Uetz peter at uetz.us
Tue Oct 20 15:51:32 CDT 2015

Certainly no reptile. But there is at least one species named after the BHL:
http://blog.biodiversitylibrary.org/2015/04/a-new-snail-species-named-in-honor-of.html

And there are a couple of reptiles named after other organizations, e.g. Anolis bicaorum,
named after the Bay Island Conservation Association (BICA).

I guess there is no global database of etymologies (or eponyms), although there are a few taxon-specific ones,
e.g. for birds, reptiles, amphibians, and mammals. Or is there?

> Message: 15
> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 14:02:16 +0100
> From: Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk>
> To: TaxaCom <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
> Subject: [Taxacom] Is there a taxon named after Wikipedia?
>
> Does anyone know of a species, or other taxon, named after Wikipedia,
> or something or someone related to it?
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Peter Uetz
Center for the Study of Biological Complexity
Virginia Commonwealth University
1015 Floyd Ave.
Richmond, VA 23284
USA