[Taxacom] more dead bodies...

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 20 20:28:44 CDT 2015

Hi All,                 If one really wanted to make this a win-win situation, I don't see why they couldn't keep the bird in captivity until it died a natural death.  They could presumably collect bodily fluids for molecular analyses for an extended period of time, as well getting most of the morphological data one might want.  Might have even gotten a few unexpected insights into its behavior.  It might not be as big a draw as the last passenger pigeon was, but it would have been positive press instead of bad press (and you still have the specimen after it dies).         And if they could have gotten a female as well, perhaps even an attempt at captive breeding of some sort (naturally, artificial insemination or whatever).  It might have been more difficult, but who knows what they might have learned keeping the bird alive.   In any case, such an effort could also have averted a media debacle, and perhaps even been turned into a positive media event.  With the explosion of social media, one has to now keep it mind and even try to use it to achieve positive press (rather than negative).  The times they are a changing.                  ------------------Ken