[Taxacom] another ebay auction of naming rights

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Wed Oct 21 14:02:29 CDT 2015

On 10/21/2015 2:32 PM, Doug Yanega wrote:

> Every package of specimens I mail has a big label on it saying "NO
> COMMERCIAL VALUE" - but that ceases to be true, at least in some
> people's view, I'm sure, if they are used as the basis for an auction.

* how is this different from putting "NO COMMERCIAL VALUE" on specimens
back in the day when museums paid collectors for specimens? I know that
payment for specimens is an extinct practice, but we did put "NO
COMMERCIAL VALUE" on the shipments, because the specimens' value was
scientific (contributing to knowledge) rather than commercial
(contributing to fiscal gain motivated by the desire for fiscal gain),
even though we might have been being paid for the shipment. It seems to
me that auctioning names (however creepy this may be in other ways) is
no more commercial a way of supporting research than applying for grants
or crowd-sourced funding, and calling the auction a pollutingly
commercial event suggests that paying taxonomists a salary also makes
their work commercial.

no idea what "ABS" means in this context, by the way,

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/