[Taxacom] Revision using taxonomic concept approach

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Oct 22 18:41:58 CDT 2015

At the risk of getting involved in something drawn-out, if I understand
it correctly (which I might not), Nico's approach cites the concepts
being discussed as if they are independent citations (completely
different from authorships), and the example Stephen picked just
happened to have these concept citations all identical. That is
"Minyomerus sec. O’Brien & Wibmer (1982)" might not be the same as
"Minyomerus sec. Anderson (2002)", and certainly NEITHER of these is
citing the actual author of the genus Minyomerus, who happens to be
Horn, 1876. I think it basically replaces what - for older authors
attempting to discuss things like this - might have been traditionally
written as "Minyomerus /sensu/ O’Brien & Wibmer (1982)". If that's
really all it's intended to do, then I think I still prefer "sensu",
since it's familiar.

I think for most of us who are used to only seeing author names listed
after scientific names, this is where the mental challenge lies in
trying to read this sort of text. I'm pretty sure I get the idea, but
when I read it, my brain keeps connecting those names as if they were
authors, when they are not. That takes a lot of getting used to.

Peace,