[Taxacom] Revision using taxonomic concept approach

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Oct 22 21:57:21 CDT 2015

The Berendsohn paper (and everything alse I have seen on the topic) just isn't very clear! Several distinct issues appear to be conflated. One specific issue which I can understand concerns lumping/splitting of genera. The same generic epithet (with the same type species) can be used to refer to different generic concepts. In such cases, if you simply identify a species as X sp., the question can be asked "What concept of X?" A good (actually bad!) example would be Nothofagus. If I said that a plant specimen is a Nothofagus sp., I could mean Nothofagus in the traditional (sensible) sense, or Nothofagus in the restricted (idiotic!) sense of Heenan & Smissen. However, the "sec" terminology doesn't really work that well here. We could say Nothofagus sec Heenan & Smissen, and that seems meaningful, but what shall we call the alternative, i.e. Nothofagus in the traditional sense. Nothofagus sec ???

Stephen