[Taxacom] Wikidata and Wikispecies

Paul Kirk P.Kirk at kew.org
Sun Oct 25 07:49:28 CDT 2015

Just a quick comment here Rod because when I read your post there were too many singulars and plurals mixed together that I was not sure what you were saying.

So, a name (singular) has an identifier, a taxon (singular) could have a single identifier but ... a taxon could also be made up of more than one name identifiers for which one is 'tagged' as the correct name for the taxon concept (the other name(s) [the synonyms] could be just a bunch of homotypic/objective synonyms of two or more of these bunches - i.e. heterotypic/subjective synonyms). Of course, this is a simplification because these taxon concepts are just based around the specimens which are the name bearing types - a more comprehensive taxon concept would include other specimens (museum, herbarium, fungarium accession 'numbers'), published descriptions and illustrations (via DOIs) and perhaps sequence data (GenBank accession 'numbers').

Just a few random thoughts ...

Paul

p.s. still not sure about LSIDs :-)