[Taxacom] Record for most primary homonyms by a single Author

Adam Cotton adamcot at cscoms.com
Sun Oct 25 17:15:19 CDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael A. Ivie" <mivie at montana.edu>
To: "Taxacom List" <TAXACOM at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 4:49 AM
Subject: [Taxacom] Record for most primary homonyms by a single Author

> Dear Taxacomers,
>
> I have a situation where a single author, Gorgio Marcuzzi (1919-2010),
> created 3 primary homonyms of the same name.  I suspect this is a record.
> Does anyone know of an equal or greater case of this in zoology?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

If this includes the senior homonym as well as two junior homonyms, then
this is equalled by Bernhard Hagen (1853-1919), who in 1894 published three
separate taxa in genus Papilio all with the name 'var. sumatrana' in the
same paper (Verzeichniss der von mir auf Sumatra gefangenen Rhopaloceren.
Deut. ent. Zeit. [Iris], 7: 1-41, pl 1).

Moonen (1998, Trans. lepid. Soc. Japan 49(3): 219-228) gave priority to one
of the names under the First Reviser Principle, thus solving this particular
problem.

Adam.