[Taxacom] Record for most primary homonyms by a single Author

Daniel Leo Gustafsson kotatsu.no.leo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 17:29:41 CDT 2015

I don't know if this counts, but R.A.M. Ansari published all his old taxa
of Phthiraptera as new three times in three different years in three
different journals, using the same names. In most cases, a given name in
one publication refers to the same species in the subsequent publications,
so it's pretty straightforward, however in several cases this is not the
case, and the names refer to very different genera, have different
descriptions, contradictory measurements, and illustrations that either
make little sense, or show that his classification is very wrong.

The trickiest case is his Philopterus kalkalichi, which is first barely
identifiable as a Brueelia in the first publication, then unidentifiable in
the second, then shown to be a Philopterus in a third publication where it
is not claimed to be a new taxon, and then a Brueelia in a fourth
publication -- but according to the few characters and measurements given
not the same species of Brueelia as in the first publication, and the group
of Brueelia the fourth publication belongs to does not occur on the host
family he gives, and is probably a straggler. As far as is known, his
collections are also partially lost, so this cannot be checked.