[Taxacom] Record for most primary homonyms by a single Author

Welter-Schultes, Francisco fwelter at gwdg.de
Sun Oct 25 17:56:06 CDT 2015

Mike,
This looks to me as if you'd like to substantiate a statement to express something similiar to "Marcuzzi worked as carelessly as did nobody else".
In the 1800s malacological authors published names of varieties of terrestrial mollusc species naming them "Helix ### var. minor" or "var. major", many times repeatedly in many many species, in genera Helix, Clausilia or Pupa. I guess nobody has a complete record about that. Pfeiffer, Rossmässler and Kobelt are candidate names of authors. At the end of the 1800s they had thousands of species in Halix and Clausilia, before these genera were split up. Technically these are to be recognised as primary homonyms of nominal species Helix major, Clausilia major, Pupa major. It is not because they worked carelessly, but it was understood in these times that it was allowed to have the same name of a variety in various different species of the same genus. It was only after 1905 that they became species-group names, and thus were converted into useless primary homonyms.

Thie same could have occurred in other animal groups, like in Papilio or Phalaena (Lepidoptera).

Have fun
Francisco

Francisco Welter-Schultes
Zoologisches Institut