[Taxacom] Wikispecies & Ruggiero classifications

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 25 18:12:10 CDT 2015

Hi all,       I like the fact that Wikispecies recognizes a Regnum (Kingdom) Protista.  However, I wish they would follow the 2015 Consensus Classification (Ruggiero et al., 2015) and combine Archaea and Bacteria back into one Superregnum (Superkingdom) Prokaryota.
       And when Ruggiero et al. revise their Consensus Classification, I can only hope that they will reduce Protozoa and Chromista to Subkingdoms and combine them back into a single Kingdom Protista.  This would get us back closer to the 5-Kingdom classifications of Whittaker and Margulis (which some still continue to use).  The only broad modification that should have been done to those very useful classifications was perhaps to split Prokaryota ("Monera") into two separate Subkingdoms or Kingdoms Archaebacteria ("Archaea") and Eubacteria ("Bacteria").  The whole "Three Domain" mess just opened a Pandora's box of taxonomic chaos in the higher classification of organisms.  But I now think we are going to get back to a stable classification at the Kingdom level (and Ruggiero et al., 2015 was a very important step).
P.S.  And ultimately, years from now, I believe Superkingdom (or Kingdom) Prokaryota will no longer be primarily divided into Eubacteria and Archaebacteria, but rather divided into the Negibacteria and Posibacteria (the latter including Archaebacteria, which often stain gram positive and are probably less "archaic" than the Eubacteria).  Cavalier-Smith has done wonderful work on that front.