[Taxacom] Record for most primary homonyms by a single Author

Al Newton anewton at fieldmuseum.org
Sun Oct 25 19:16:42 CDT 2015

Hi Mike,

Three primary homonym triplets in Staphylinidae:

Herbert Franz:
*Euconnus penangianus* Franz 1975: 59; 1975: 67; 1992  (yes, two in the
same paper 8 pages apart!)

Max Bernhauer:
*Medon luzonicus* Bernhauer 1915; 1926; 1934
*Stenus parvipennis* Bernhauer 1913; 1919; 1922

These are all independently proposed species names, not replicate
publication of the same name as new, of which there would be a lot more
examples (e.g., in the works of Mulsant & Rey where there can be four or
more repeated descriptions in different journals or as private
publications).

Al.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Michael A. Ivie <mivie at montana.edu> wrote:

> Adam, Daniel and Francisco,
>
> Adam and Francisco, you are correct, I am not thinking of the technical
> after-the-fact situation of varieties becoming species group names in
> 1905.  That was perfectly acceptable practice before 1905.  Ansari's
> example is more what I was thinking of, just plain wrong scholarship.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>

> On 10/25/2015 4:56 PM, Welter-Schultes, Francisco wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>> This looks to me as if you'd like to substantiate a statement to express
>> something similiar to "Marcuzzi worked as carelessly as did nobody else".
>> In the 1800s malacological authors published names of varieties of
>> terrestrial mollusc species naming them "Helix ### var. minor" or "var.
>> major", many times repeatedly in many many species, in genera Helix,
>> Clausilia or Pupa. I guess nobody has a complete record about that.
>> Pfeiffer, Rossmässler and Kobelt are candidate names of authors. At the end
>> of the 1800s they had thousands of species in Halix and Clausilia, before
>> these genera were split up. Technically these are to be recognised as
>> primary homonyms of nominal species Helix major, Clausilia major, Pupa
>> major. It is not because they worked carelessly, but it was understood in
>> these times that it was allowed to have the same name of a variety in
>> various different species of the same genus. It was only after 1905 that
>> they became species-group names, and thus were converted into useless
>> primary homonyms.
>>
>> Thie same could have occurred in other animal groups, like in Papilio or
>> Phalaena (Lepidoptera).
>>
>> Have fun
>> Francisco
>>
>> Francisco Welter-Schultes
>> Zoologisches Institut
>> Berliner Str. 28, 37073 Goettingen
>> Phone +49 551 395536

Alfred F. Newton
Curator Emeritus
Zoology Department/Insect Division
Field Museum of Natural History
1400 South Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605 USA
Telephone (direct):  312-665-7738; Fax (Zoology):  312-665-7754
FMNH personal web page:  <http://fieldmuseum.org/users/alfred-newton>
Austral Staphyliniformia databases: <
<http://www.fieldmuseum.org/peet_staph/>
http://archive.fieldmuseum.org/peet_staph/>