[Taxacom] Kingdom Protista (classification update)

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 26 10:30:11 CDT 2015

Hi again,                             In the notes below my Protista classification (see e-mail below), I should have referred to Opisthokonta as the 3D clade (not 3B).  And I just found out that there is a relatively new clade called Obazoa (including the taxa in my clades 3B, 3C, and 3D).
              And here are some other clade names you might run across:        Archaeplastida (taxa in my Clade 4);                            Excavata (taxa in my Clade 2);                                    Amorphea (new name for Unikonta, but excluding a small Varisulca clade?); taxa in my Clade 3.                                Viridiplantae (or Chlorobionta) uniting chlorophytes and embryophytes;                                     Streptophyta (uniting only the "charophyte" chlorophytes with embryophytes);                                 Harosa (another name for the SAR clade); note that this clade may actually exclude Cryptophyta and Haptophyta (which are instead placed in a supposed clade Hacrobia, although it looks like it might be paraphyletic and not a clade).           Eozoa (used for differing clades by different authors).
  *********Just found two more proposed clade names from early 2015 (Derelle et al., in a PNAS paper):  Opimoda and Diphoda
IMPORTANT NOTE:  If the Derelle et al.'s modified phylogeny turns out to be correct, I might need to move my first two clades (four phyla) down just before Phylum Glaucophyta.  It would be the same 18 phyla, but just listed in a slightly different order.  However, I am not yet saying that they are correct.  It's very likely to be challenged, especially if their outgroups prove to be too distant (no archaebacteria).   In any case, if Bikonta does turn out to be slightly paraphyletic with respect to Unikonta, is that reason enough to propose two entirely new clade names (which are given very rigid Phylocode definitions)?