[Taxacom] Wikidata and Wikispecies

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Tue Oct 27 05:26:02 CDT 2015

On 27 October 2015 at 07:52, Roderic Page <Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk> wrote:

> . In the example you give the taxon name is a simple string, whereas I'd ague it should be
> an item with its own properties. In the same way that for people Wikidata can first and last
> names as items, e..g.  https://m.wikidata.org/wiki/Q272518  rather than strings.

Well, there are "given name item = Charles" and "Surname item =
Darwin" properties, but the item about the person does not have a
separate "name item=Charles Darwin" property

Nonetheless...

> I guess I think Wikidata has an opportunity to be genuinely useful to
> biologists if it spends a little time to sort out how it models taxa and
> names, otherwise it's an opportunity missed.

...I really would urge you to make this point on the Wikidata taxonomy
project page I linked to earlier.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing