[Taxacom] another ebay auction of naming rights The Last Word

Karl Magnacca kmagnacca at wesleyan.edu
Tue Oct 27 14:07:53 CDT 2015

On Tue, October 27, 2015 11:01:23, metzlere at msu.edu wrote:
>  Lastly I was informed by the National Park Service that I cannot
> solicit funds in support of my research on National Park Service
> property. I am not allowed to chase the deep pockets. I am not
> allowed to ask for money from anyone or any organization. I am only
> allowed to go broke while I am doing this. DOUBLE BUMMER !!

It's one thing for NPS to say you can't sell the name because the
specimen belongs to the park, but unless there's more to the story,
this seems to make no sense.  What law do they claim you would be
violating?  By that logic you would not be able to apply for an NSF
grant to work in a park.  They had no problem approving our work
that was funded by a private nonprofit foundation.

Karl