[Taxacom] another ebay auction of naming rights The Last Word

Karl Magnacca kmagnacca at wesleyan.edu
Wed Oct 28 20:25:51 CDT 2015

On Tue, October 27, 2015 10:34 am, metzlere at msu.edu wrote:
> Karl wrote:
>
> "It's one thing for NPS to say you can't sell the name because the
> specimen belongs to the park, but unless there's more to the story,
> this seems to make no sense.  What law do they claim you would be
> violating?  By that logic you would not be able to apply for an NSF
> grant to work in a park.  They had no problem approving our work
> that was funded by a private nonprofit foundation.  Karl"
>
> Eric replies:  Thank you Karl for the point of clarification. I can
> apply for a grant from any organization that normally funds the kind
> of work I am doing. That includes NSF, Western National Parks
> Association, World Wildlife Fund, and others. I cannot approach the
> local Rotary club or the Chamber of Commerce, etc.
>
> I cannot do anything quid pro quo (or put another way, "You scratch
> my back; I scratch your back."

The quid pro quo part makes a sort of a sense, presumably to avoid
the appearance of "commerce", though arguably that could prevent
crowdfunding even if you're only providing access to results as they
come just as you would make reports to any other funding
organization.  But not being able to approach anyone else for funds
without strings attached seems arbitrary and unenforceable, and
would prohibit any kind of crowdfunding.

Karl