[Taxacom] resend Kingdom Protista (and Subkingdom Chromista)

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Fri Oct 30 07:02:25 CDT 2015

On 10/30/2015 7:52 AM, JF Mate wrote:
> As long as the topic is taxonomic, the posts civilized and not
> spamming, I donĀ“t see any problem.

* here's a related question: does any individual systematist other than
Ken keep an updated classification of all life?

fred.

> On 29 October 2015 at 17:45, Michael A. Ivie <mivie at montana.edu> wrote:
>> Ken Kinman repeatedly references his own classification, called the Kinman
>> System, and posts modifications of it.  Does anyone actually use this?  In
>> Web of Science, I find a 1994 reference, and a single citation of it in 20
>> years.  Am I missing something?
>>
>> On 10/28/2015 8:46 PM, Kenneth Kinman wrote:
>>>
>>> Hotmail or Taxacom continues to make a mess posting my classifications, so
>>> I'll try just one more time.  This is my final attempt.           Hi All,
>>> Below I decided to show Kingdom Protista divided into Subkingdoms Protozoa
>>> and Chromista. I could also combine Phylum Chlorophyta and Kingdom Metaphyta
>>> into a Kingdom Viridiplantae if that consensus would be preferable (but that
>>> is a separate issue to be decided later). I am all for a consensus
>>> classification, but I just don't think Ruggiero et al. was quite enough of a
>>> consensus for the protists (and the Kingdoms that evolved from them).
>>> ---------------Ken P.S. It should be noted that the current version of
>>> Chromista has become much broader than when Chromista was first proposed
>>> decades ago. So much so that I am somewhat reluctant to still call this
>>> Subkingdom Chromista (especially with the recent addition of Rhizaria).
>>> However, in view of Ruggiero et al.'s continued recognition of a full
>>> Kingdom Chromista, they left me with little choice if a true consensus is to
>>> be achieved. Anyway, just as there are probably better ways to subdivide
>>> Superkingdom Prokaryota (into Negibacteria and Posibacteria, rather than
>>> Eubacteria and Archaebacteria), there are also probably better ways to
>>> subdivide Kingdom Protista. In each case, I guess I'll just have to try to
>>> modify the consensus in two steps instead of one. Hopefully I'll live long
>>> enough to see that happen.       -----------------Ken Kinman
>>> KINGDOM PROTISTA SUBKINGDOM PROTOZOA% 1   Euglenozoa  2A  Percolozoa  B
>>> Loukozoa  C   Metamonada  3A  Amoebozoa  B  Breviatea  C  Apusozoa  D
>>> Choanozoa%%             1A Cristidiscoidea             1B {{Fungi}}
>>> 2 Ichthyosporea             ? Corallochytrea            3 Filasterea
>>> 4 Choanoflagellatea             5 {{Animalia}}    _a_ {{Kingdom FUNGI a.k.a.
>>> EUMYCOTA}} (true fungi)   _b_ {{Kingdom ANIMALIA, a.k.a. METAZOA}}  4A
>>> Glaucophyta  B  Rhodophyta  C  Chlorophyta%  _a_  {{Kingdom METAPHYTA, a.k.a
>>> PLANTAE sensu stricto}} (embryophytes)  5  {{Subkingdom Chromista}}
>>> SUBKINGDOM CHROMISTA   1A  Cryptophyta   1B  Haptophyta   2  Rhizaria  3
>>> Heterokonta (stramenopiles)  4  Ciliophora  5  Dinozoa (or Dinophyta)  6
>>> Sporozoa
>>> The Taxacom Archive back to 1992 may be searched at:
>>> http://taxacom.markmail.org
>>>
>>> Celebrating 28 years of Taxacom in 2015.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.
>>
>> US Post Office Address:
>> Montana Entomology Collection
>> Marsh Labs, Room 50
>> 1911 West Lincoln Street
>> Montana State University
>> Bozeman, MT 59717
>> USA
>>
>> UPS, FedEx, DHL Address:
>> Montana Entomology Collection
>> Marsh Labs, Room 50
>> 1911 West Lincoln Street
>> Montana State University
>> Bozeman, MT 59718
>> USA
>>

>> (406) 994-4610 (voice)
>> (406) 994-6029 (FAX)
>> mivie at montana.edu

>> http://taxacom.markmail.org
>>
>> Celebrating 28 years of Taxacom in 2015.
>
> Celebrating 28 years of Taxacom in 2015.

           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/