[Taxacom] resend Kingdom Protista (and Subkingdom Chromista)

Dan Lahr dlahr at ib.usp.br
Fri Oct 30 08:39:14 CDT 2015

Hi all,

just to bring some data in,

a bunch of people are interested in keeping all life classified.  Tom
Cavalier-Smith often updates his own classificaitons as well, but large
systems are published almost yearly by different people and these are
typically highly cited articles - this year saw Ruggiero et al.
classification out in PLoS One, a couple years ago the "consensus"
classification of Protists backed by the International Society of
Protistologists is published periodically (last one was 2012).

textbooks, school teachers, and general public are continuously interested
in large classifications.  there are many advantages to indexing
everything.  on the research end the increasing use of molecular tools to
understand ecology of microorganisms depends heavily on classification, and
there are currently two very large global initiatives that are funded both
by ISoP and the Moore foundation to generate larger, dynamic
classifications with molecular referencing- these are UniEuk (still
embryonic) and EukRef (http://eukref.org/)

cheers,

dan

Daniel J. G. Lahr
PhD, Assist. Prof.
Dept of Zoology, Univ. of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Office number: + 55 (11) 3091 0948
http://www.ib.usp.br/zoologia/lahr/