[Taxacom] EukRef (was: resend Kingdom Protista)

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 11:08:53 CDT 2015

Hi Dan,                     Cavalier-Smith's classifications are very good and very informative, but sometimes plagued by peculiar taxon names and unnecessary splitting (e.g., Kingdoms Protozoa and Chromista, instead of the single Kingdom Protista).  After all, there are thousands of Protistologists, but I've never EVER heard anyone calling themselves Chromistologists.
          I checked out the EukRef website you mentioned, and I really like their dynamic pie-charts.  Although they don't use Linnaean categories, I was pleasantly surprised that they use Metazoa instead of Animalia.  I'm under the impression that they wanted to only use clades, but they do use Crustacea (which everyone knows is paraphyletic with respect to Insecta).  And I continue to advise against using Hexapoda, as it is probably polyphyletic (which we all agree is bad).
         However, their "classification" of plants is rather peculiar.  Especially dividing Archaeplastida into Chlorophyta and Streptophyta (charophytes + Embryophyceae), when charophytes are very often classified within Chlorophyta.  Furthermore, how many of the charophytes are included in Streptophyta varies widely from classification to classification.   And why Embryophyceae, when they could use Embryophyta or Metaphyta?   I am obviously happy they didn't use Plantae, but very sad that they didn't use Viridiplantae instead of the vague and problematic Streptophyta when they subdivided Archaeplastida.