[Taxacom] resend Kingdom Protista (and Subkingdom Chromista)

Dan Lahr dlahr at ib.usp.br
Fri Oct 30 12:25:25 CDT 2015

Classifications are arbitrary, and are thus used (cited) in ways to please
one's own taste.

Certainly if Ken Kinman went through the trouble of publishing his
classifications - which I am fairly certain would get published, as a lot
of less well thought out classifications are - people would use and cite
his system as well.

Do note that I am not defending the Kinman system per se, as I deeply
disagree with his views -- accepting paraphyletic groups is simply absurd
in my view.

However, classifications are arbitrary and I would like to defend his and
everyone's right to have their own personal classification system, well
cited or not. I don't see why not. It's just like your favorite football
team, or color.

cheers,

dan

Daniel J. G. Lahr
PhD, Assist. Prof.
Dept of Zoology, Univ. of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Office number: + 55 (11) 3091 0948
http://www.ib.usp.br/zoologia/lahr/