[Taxacom] resend Kingdom Protista (and Subkingdom Chromista)

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Oct 30 23:18:43 CDT 2015

Hi Tony,

Thanks for bothering to reply. Just to address two of your comments:

(1) WP "notability": There is a strong consensus on WP to the effect that all species are notable enough for their own article. Most biodiversity editors on WP actually waste (I mean spend!) most of their time creating pages like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyncostola_ochraula), which I think you will agree is not really all that helpful! However, there is a big enough community doing just that to continue (remember that WP policies, like "notability" lack very precise definitions, and don't have to be enforced - it is just a matter of the will of a big enough consensus).

(2)"the characters that distinguish it from closely related taxa might be of interest to include" Yes, but unfortunately, that could cause problems with OR policy ("Original Research"). For the example I gave, there is only an inadequate original description from 1880, with a lot of closely related new species discovered since then (many still undescribed). There is no published source to cite for distinguishing characters, in the modern context. I can recognise the species, based on my past experience in local museum collections. So, the best that I can do on WP is to add a photo of a specimen identified by me, since that is the only way OR can creep in without laying onseself open to challenge on WP.

(3)Since I am a curator on EoL, I could repeat the article there, except that I can't add the image to the article very easily, and there is nobody with both the ability and the inclination to confirm the ID from the image so that it would go automatically from iNaturalist to EoL, GBIF, etc., as a "research grade" observation. This is a big problem. I have thousands of images of species on NatureWatch NZ/iNaturalist, but there is nobody with both the ability and the inclination to confirm the IDs! Most of my confirmed ones are bloody plants!

The WP article on Peristoreus flavitarsis pretty much cites everything sensible that has been published on the species, apart from one ecological paper which classifies it as a "pasture pest"! This is nonsense, so best ignored (it is difficult to state on WP that a source is wrong, so best to just ignore it completely).

Cheers,

Stephen