[Taxacom] scholarly standards in environmental assessments

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Tue Apr 19 12:56:14 CDT 2016

Taxacombers,

Over the decades there's been a certain amount of grumping on Taxacom
about identifications and specimen handling in environmental
assessments, and I wonder if anyone can point me to critiques of the
overall scholarly standards in EAs? My experience is summarized in the
definition given below. I'm writing a review of the herpetology of the
EA for the Boundary Road landfill east of Ottawa, Ontario, -
http://www.dumpthedumpnow.ca/ - http://www.dumpthisdump2.ca/ - and
preliminary google searches just give me the standards EAs are supposed
to meet, not those they actually implement.

I can send my draft ms around for review to anyone who is interested.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
environmental assessment (administrative high-jink): a winter survey of
summer-active biota, usually authored by a biostitute. “Striking prima
facie errors populate this assessment. ‘Ash’ and ‘poplar’ are genera:
not species. Cattails are absent, and almost all of the houses are
permanent residences rather than cottages... It’s curious that anyone
conducting an ‘environmental assessment’ would have missed this rambling
stand of the giant invasive grass, haplotype ‘m’ Phragmites australis,
the ‘Grass that ate New Jersey’...  Stronger language than ‘good’ has
been used of this marsh: ‘a previously unreported Provincially
Significant vegetation type in Ontario.’ The fact that ‘no rare species
were discovered’ by the assessors suggests a cursory survey... [since]
the Provincially Rare Quillwort Isoetes riparia at this site
‘constitutes the largest known population in Canada and likely the
largest in North America.’” -- Willola Wanderer. -- from The Devil's
Addendum - http://pinicola.ca/devildic.pdf