[Taxacom] human neanderthal genes shared or inherited

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 14 21:23:27 CDT 2016

Hi John,                            This field of study is still controversial.  However, the lack of one particular kind of Neanderthal DNA (namely mitochondrial DNA) in modern human populations would probably tend to argue against genetic inheritance from a very early common ancestor.  Instead, it tends to argue in favor of occasional interbreeding in Eurasia of male Neanderthals with female modern humans.  Genes thus acquired would have undergone selection for those genes helping modern humans adapt to life further north.        Although it was initially thought that sub-Saharan populations generally lacked evidence of a similar infusion of Neanderthal genes before European colonization, more recent work shows very low levels of Neanderthal genes in some populations that resulted from a "back to Africa" migration about 3,000 years ago. but they were accompanied by Eurasian genes as well.  See one article at this weblink:  https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24988-humanitys-forgotten-return-to-africa-revealed-in-dna/             Looks like very limited interbreeding between Neanderthal males and "modern" female humans in Eurasia is the most likely scenario, with some Neanderthal genes being selected for and others selected against.  I'm not sure if Denisovan-modern interbreeding was similarly predominantly males of one and females of the other.  Anyway, stay tuned for further testing and conjecture about all of this.                      -------------Ken-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------         > Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 17:53:13 -0400> From: calabar.john at gmail.com> To: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu> Subject: [Taxacom] human neanderthal genes shared or inherited> > I have a curiosity question which reflects my lack of expertise in the> field of matching genes and inferring phylogeny. There is a lot of> reference to humans and neanderthals sharing genes - or that various humans> have 'neanderthal' genes and so their mutual ancestors must have interbred.> > Would I be correct that the interbreeding is inferred because the shared> genes are not in all the human population?> > Or, how does one discount the possibility that the genes are shared by> inheritance from a former common ancestor and now just less common so they> are not frequent enough to occur in all the modern human population?> > I have no axe to grind on this subject, just curious to know how the> interpretation is substantiated or whether there are inbuilt assumptions> involved. Hopefully one or more Taxacom subscribers are familiar with the> human-neanderthal molecular studies.> > John Grehan> _______________________________________________