[Taxacom] Software for curating taxonomic/biological/specimen information

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Dec 1 12:27:42 CST 2016

I'll offer my two cents. Back around 1994, I had a postdoc at the INHS
to help develop a database for their aquatic insect collection. The
database was in FileMaker. I learned how to use it, how to design fields
and modify the interface, how to link relational files, and it was not a
difficult thing. 22 years later, I still use FileMaker Pro, now to
manage a collection at UCR containing some 4 million specimens, of which
around half a million have database records. True, it is not
pre-packaged. You have to learn how to make it do what you want it to
do, but it can do almost anything. True, it has some "personality
quirks" which take getting used to. But it is platform-independent,
flexible, powerful, easy to learn and use, fairly cheap, and it is
extremely well-supported. Over 20 years and still going strong, and I
have no fear of ever losing our data to obsolescence. I've seen most of
the other software that's around, and have never yet seen anything that
I would consider a significant *overall* improvement over what FMPro
does for me. True, I had to put a fair bit of my own time and energy
into building the interface, but that's not really a drawback; after
all, if I decide I need a new or modified data field (e.g., in order to
better correspond to Darwin Core standards), or want to add new
functionality (e.g., displaying images, linking to Google Earth), I can
do it myself (or with a little help and/or research), sometimes immediately.

I'll add one more thing: since it CAN be customized, FMPro offers the
potential for different users to develop tools, tricks, and interface
designs that can be shared with other users, to everyone's collective
benefit. If someone else using FMPro wanted to see how my database is
structured, I could easily send them copies of the templates for each of
the five relational databases that comprise my system (one for
localities, 3 for taxonomy, and one for specimen records themselves),
and vice-versa; we could learn from one another, and maybe both come out
ahead. I know at least a few major collections other than mine use
FMPro-based databases (e.g., INHS, AMNH), so I'm not alone. But, when
discussions like this crop up, they ALWAYS focus on pre-packaged
specimen management software, so you will rarely hear from us. I'd
encourage people to consider FMPro as another option.

Peace,