[Taxacom] Software for curating taxonomic/biological/specimen information

Chris Grinter cgrinter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 19:33:10 CST 2016

FMPro has its pros and cons (as do all database systems) - one of its
largest issues being that it's difficult to develop from scratch, expensive
to keep up to date with, and tricky to serve data online. Here at the INHS
we are quickly moving away from it. Since the INHS entomology collection
chose not to upgrade beyond FMP 8.0 years ago (now in v15), we are stuck
operating the database on ancient Windows machines that can run the
original software. If we were to upgrade we would have to purchase several
old versions of FMP to step-wise upgrade our data. Annually licensing File
Maker is very expensive, but you can purchase discounted bundles of
multiple years - plan on spending several thousand dollars for those
software keys. If you want to customize you'll need to also hire a database
manager/programmer as Doug did.

Symbiota is wonderful for data entry and data sharing, however collection
management tools are rough at best. This is in the plans for further
development, but you'd have to discuss with the Symbiota Collections group
for further details. The biggest pro is that you can join SCAN for free to
serve data, or host your own iteration just as the INHS has chosen to do
for a one-time-payment of just about a thousand dollars. The INHS manages
non-entomology collections in FMP and exports CSV files to SCAN for data
access. Paleontology uses Symbiota as its primary database.

The entomology collection is close to fully integrating with TaxonWorks -
an online database designed by the Species File Group (SFG) here at the U
of Illinois. Once we've tested all of the bugs and gotten everything
working we'll have a very powerful and web-based data platform. Integrating
software like barcode readers, geolocate (already added), or any other
open-sourced platform is possible. Matt Yoder from SFG would have to
comment further on the possibility of accepting new collaborations, but it
will eventually be free and open sourced for anyone to use.

Specify also sounds like a great solution, but I have limited experience
with it. In general my bottom line advice would be to discourage any
proprietary database system or one that requires perpetual license fees.

Chris Grinter

Christopher C. Grinter

*Collections Manager of Insects, Illinois Natural History SurveyAssistant
Secretary & Asst. Treasurer, The Lepidopterists' Society*
1816 S Oak Street,
Champaign, IL 61820-0904
cgrinter at gmail.com