[Taxacom] Software for curating taxonomic/biological/specimen information

John Bruner jbruner at ualberta.ca
Fri Dec 2 12:36:42 CST 2016

In answer to Mike Sadka's question, here is an email I received from Robert
H. Robins, the Collection Manager of Ichthyology of the Florida Museum of
Natural History at Gainesville about 2 years ago.
*******snip*********

Hi John,

Yes, we use Specify, the NSF supported software. We made the conversion
from Microsoft Access in February of this year and I find it outstanding.

If you can digitize it, you can have it in your database with Specify. I
now link Collection Objects to images, reference works, and maps.

View our Specify web portal here:

http://specifyportal.flmnh.ufl.edu/fishes/

Best thing to happen to my workflow/the collection since I began working
here 18 years ago.

All collections data at the Florida Museum (*40 million collection objects*)
are being migrated to Specify. Complete so far are Fishes, Herps, Mammals,
and Invertebrate Paleontology.

Here’s more on Specify; I’ve also taken the liberty of copying the Director
of the Specify initiative, Jim Beach:

http://specifysoftware.org/

And yes, it is free.

(Oh and one last thing – there’s a weekly live on-line tutorial – in fact,
it is going on as we speak!).

Rob

Robert H. Robins

Senior Biologist/Collection Manager

Division of Ichthyology

Florida Museum of Natural History

1659 Museum Road

PO Box 117800

Gainesville, FL 32611-7800

Office: (352) 273-1957

Fax: (352) 846-0287

rhrobins at flmnh.ufl.edu

www.flmnh.ufl.edu

--

--

        John
* Mr. John C. Bruner                                  *
* EMAIL: jbruner at ualberta.ca
<https://webmail.ualberta.ca/imp/message.php?mailbox=sent-mail&index=1363#>
                        *
* HOME PAGE:http://www.ualberta.ca/~jbruner/          *