[Taxacom] Lupuli radicibus

Laurent Raty l.raty at skynet.be
Mon Dec 5 03:20:12 CST 2016

Unless I'm wrong about the source (but I doubt it -- Phalaena Lupuli
Linn. 1758, Syst. Nat., 12th ed., 1:508 --
http://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/727419 ), it's an ablative plural
(which you can't separate from dative plural out of context).
The problem is that we were not given the entire phrase, which is
"Habitat in Lupuli radicibus", meaning "It lives in Lupulus roots". The
preposition "in" requires ablative where it indicates a simple position
(i.e., no motion), as here.

L -