[Taxacom] Retaining genus when its type species isn't diagnosable

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Tue Dec 6 18:09:50 CST 2016

You can certainly continue adding species to that genus.

I understand that the type species cannot be firmly associated with any
existing known species, but it certainly belongs to a group of species
currently regarded to represent that genus. As long as nothing happens
the type species can remain a doubtful name within this genus.

The problem arises once someone likes to split up the genus, and it is
impossible to tell to which subgroup the doubtful type species might
belong. In this case some action needs to be taken.

Francisco