[Taxacom] Retaining genus when its type species isn't diagnosable

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Tue Dec 6 18:06:33 CST 2016

Assumption: you are dealing with an animal. What you state is simply
impossible.  You  wrote:

> Can someone explain to me the best practice of how to treat a
> genus/species when the genus is identifiable but the species identity
> of the type species is not?
The genus is the group to which the type species of the genus belongs.
If the type species cannot be identified, the genus cannot be defined.
Simple.

If you want to use the generic name, you must designate a Neotype,
carefully following all the rules for that, and then the genus goes with
the species that the Neotype belongs to.

Mike

On 12/6/2016 4:06 PM, Stuart Longhorn wrote:
> Can someone explain to me the best practice of how to treat a genus/species when the genus is identifiable but the species identity of the type species is not?
>

> e.g. Genus Aus Smith 1900
>
> With designated type species Aus xus Smith 1900
>
> and several other species added later.
>

> If the type species is not identifiable (as a 'species'), but the 'genus' perse is from that/associated description, is it ok for the genus to be retained as valid (including possibly adding other species to the genus), while its type species simply can become nomen dubium?
>

>  From this
>
> 67.1.2. The name of a type species remains unchanged even when it is a junior synonym or homonym, or a suppressed name (see Article 81.2.1<http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted-sites/iczn/code/index.jsp?nfv=true&article=81#2.1>).
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> stuart
>
> Injecting Intellectual Liquidity for 29 years.

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

US Post Office Address:
Montana Entomology Collection
Marsh Labs, Room 50