[Taxacom] Retaining genus when its type species isn't diagnosable

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Tue Dec 6 18:07:05 CST 2016

Hmm, are we talking about the Zoological Code Stephen?  You don't put an
application to the Commission in order to designate a Neotype, you just
follow the rules in the Code (see Article 75) and do it.  Since there is
obviously the required taxonomic confusion, anyone has the freedom to do
the designation.

Mike

On 12/6/2016 4:24 PM, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> Hi Stuart,
> There is no real problem that I can see with the type species of a genus being a nomen dubium. You could try, if you really wanted to, lodging an application with the ICZN for designation of a neotype for the type species, but if they don't see a real need, they might not bother.
> Cheers,
> Stephen

> On Wed, 7/12/16, Stuart Longhorn <sjl197 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>   Subject: [Taxacom] Retaining genus when its type species isn't diagnosable
>   To: "taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu" <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
>

>   Can someone explain to me the best practice of how to treat
>   a genus/species when the genus is identifiable but the
>   species identity of the type species is not?
>

>   e.g. Genus Aus Smith 1900
>
>   With designated type species Aus xus Smith 1900
>
>   and several other species added later.
>

>   If the type species is not identifiable (as a 'species'),
>   but the 'genus' perse is from that/associated description,
>   is it ok for the genus to be retained as valid (including
>   possibly adding other species to the genus), while its type
>   species simply can become nomen dubium?
>

>   From this
>
>   67.1.2. The name of a type species remains unchanged even
>   when it is a junior synonym or homonym, or a suppressed name
>   (see Article 81.2.1<http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted-sites/iczn/code/index.jsp?nfv=true&article=81#2.1>).
>

>   Thanks in advance
>
>   stuart
>
>   Injecting Intellectual Liquidity for 29 years.

> Injecting Intellectual Liquidity for 29 years.

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

US Post Office Address:
Montana Entomology Collection
Marsh Labs, Room 50