[Taxacom] Retaining genus when its type species isn't diagnosable

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Tue Dec 6 19:06:05 CST 2016

On 12/6/16 4:45 PM, Michael A. Ivie wrote:
> No type? Unknown type species for a genus? No objective standard of
> reference for the application of the name it bears.  Period.
Actually, there are lots of species with no type specimen, and many
genera with no type species (dubious or otherwise). Percentage-wise,
both occurrences are perhaps rare, but the absolute numbers are
significant. BEST PRACTICE is to follow the Code, and the Code does not
*require* stabilization through typification unless there is confusion.
This is at the core of a lot of ongoing controversy, but I and perhaps
most Commissioners seem to be okay with the "If it ain't broke, don't
fix it" approach here.

If there is a genuine risk of a genus name being misapplied unless a
type species is fixed, then yes, do it. Otherwise, don't worry.

Peace,