[Taxacom] Retaining genus when its type species isn't diagnosable

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Tue Dec 6 19:16:51 CST 2016

Doug,

No type specimen for SPECIES? No problem if there is no confusion.  Homo
is the poster child for this. Therefore your statement "there are lots
of species with no type specimen" is obviously OK, and the Code
recognizes this in the restrictions on Neotype designation.

But, I also said "Unknown type species?"  This changes the equation.
This question is specifically for a case where the identity of the type
species IS in question, I assume because of lack of a type.  In this
case, your examples do not apply under "Best Practice."

The many genera with no correctly designated type species are also not
examples of Best Practice.  Yes,  they are out there, but it is not what
you can call "correct."

You say "the Code does not *require* stabilization through typification
unless there is confusion." This was never in question, we are talking
about an example where there IS confusion, which is what "dubium" means.

Mike

On 12/6/2016 6:06 PM, Doug Yanega wrote:
> On 12/6/16 4:45 PM, Michael A. Ivie wrote:
>> No type? Unknown type species for a genus? No objective standard of
>> reference for the application of the name it bears.  Period.
> Actually, there are lots of species with no type specimen, and many
> genera with no type species (dubious or otherwise). Percentage-wise,
> both occurrences are perhaps rare, but the absolute numbers are
> significant. BEST PRACTICE is to follow the Code, and the Code does
> not *require* stabilization through typification unless there is
> confusion. This is at the core of a lot of ongoing controversy, but I
> and perhaps most Commissioners seem to be okay with the "If it ain't
> broke, don't fix it" approach here.
>
> If there is a genuine risk of a genus name being misapplied unless a
> type species is fixed, then yes, do it. Otherwise, don't worry.
>
> Peace,

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

US Post Office Address:
Montana Entomology Collection