[Taxacom] Retaining genus when its type species isn't diagnosable

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Tue Dec 6 19:39:33 CST 2016

I think that Mike is making a distinction between:

(1) There is a type specimen for the type species, but it cannot be identified (fully); and

(2) There is no type specimen for the type species.

I don't really see any relevant difference, however. If (1), then the type species is a nomen dubium. If (2), then the type species may be a nomen dubium, but may instead be identifiable (fully) from the original description and/or illustrations. If the type species is a nomen dubium, then there may still be a circumscription in use of the genus which need not be affected. So, for a simplified hypothetical example, if I describe new genus G for all 5 legged mammals, and describe two species, one of which (Gus aus) is designated type, but my description of it is rubbish and the type is lost or otherwise unidentifiable to species, then we can still use G as a genus name for all species of 5 legged mammals. Problems could arise (and be solved by appropriate means), but in their absence there is no problem.

Stephen