[Taxacom] New feature in BioStor - BHL timelines for Taxonomic names

Roderic Page Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk
Fri Dec 23 05:33:59 CST 2016

Hi Mike,

The results are entirely based on what has been scanned by BHL http://biodiversitylibrary.org  and processed by BioStor. BHL has lots of gaps, hence the results will, be incomplete. Another limitations that the OCR used to extract text from the page images may fail to correctly interpret the words in a page, missing some taxonomic names. It's a tool for discovery.

If you want more coverage, especially more recent papers, then my other literature project BioNames may help, e.g. http://bionames.org/timeline/Animalia/Arthropoda/Insecta/Hemiptera/Homoptera/Auchenorrhyncha/Cicadelloidea

If anyone working at a museum or involved in a scientific society is interested in helping fill in the gaps in BHL then agreeing to have your in-house journal, society publication, etc. scanned would be a very useful, contribution.

Sorry if I'm didn't make the limitations of the timeline tool clear.

Regards,

Rod