[Taxacom] Homo sapiens

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Wed Jan 13 17:31:37 CST 2016

The history of defining extant Homo sapiens is a sad one, one that
taxonomy does well to forget.  It has mostly been the preview of racists
trying to subdivide humanity to support some superior race theory or
other.  The Germans did some of this during the Nazi era, and others
during colonial and slave periods. Not really something to delve into.
There is no taxonomic confusion on who is human and who is not in the
extant population, so such a redescription is not necessary.

On 1/13/2016 4:18 PM, Doug Yanega wrote:
> On 1/13/16 3:04 PM, Thomas McCabe wrote:
>> More recent publications of
>> primate taxonomy in English available to me refer to Linneaus’
>> definition.
>> Can anyone direct me to a more recent formal revision?
>>
> Most species, including our own, have no "formal" description outside
> of the original description. Given that we've only got descriptions
> for fewer than 2 million of the 10-50 million extant species, we've
> got a lot of work yet to do before we can go around re-describing
> things a second time. ;-)
>
> That being said, if you were to examine the descriptions, in the
> paleonotological literature, of *other species* in the genus Homo, you
> are likely to find that when those other species are diagnosed, the
> authors may have listed certain features in explicit contrast with the
> same features as they appear in H. sapiens - you could accumulate a
> number of formal characters used to recognize H. sapiens, in this manner.
>
> Sincerely,

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

US Post Office Address:
Montana Entomology Collection