[Taxacom] Paywall our taxonomic tidbit

Roderic Page Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk
Fri Jan 15 03:00:47 CST 2016

Hi Gerwin,

Yes, you could qualify it with “immediate” or “easy” access. But to me access means I can see it right now, for free on my device (computer, tablet, phone). I suspect for most people, if it’s not freely available online then it’s not accessible.

Regards

Rod

> On 15 Jan 2016, at 08:52, Gerwin Kasperek <sls2411 at ub.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:
>
> Rod, you wrote that in the traditional model ... "3. Public doesn’t have access to that research".
>
> At least for the public in Germany (and presumably many other countries), this is not quite true. There are libraries providing published documents in various ways. If the user's local library doesn't have a licence or hardcopy for a specific publication, he can order via inter-library loan. There are international inter-library loan services as well. We could say "3. Public doesn’t have _immediate_ access to that research".
>
> Regards
> Gerwin

> Dr Gerwin Kasperek
> University Library Johann Christian Senckenberg
> Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy
Graham Kerr Building