[Taxacom] two names online published - one new species

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Jan 22 16:36:21 CST 2016

No, I am saying that failures of availability due only to the lack of specification of an electronic archive on a ZooBank record should be retrospectively quashed if the journal published a print edition, and the requirement should be dropped for such cases. So, if I registered a new name, but forgot about (or ignored) the archiving requirement, and the paper was published on 1 Nov 2014, online first, in otherwise fully Code compliant fashion, but the print edition wasn't published (as a real hard copy) until some difficult to determine time after 1 Jan 2015, then my new name would be Aus bus Thorpe, 2014 (Date of valid publication: 1 Nov 2014). If someone publishes a new name for the same taxon (let's say in a print journal) on 2 Nov 2014, then their new name is a junior synonym of mine. The hard copy serves as an archive. We only need electronic archiving for e-only journals.

>So... do you agree that we should interpret the date of availability for purposes of nomenclatural priority of works published electronically to be the date on which all requirements of the Code were fulfilled?

No, my mind is still open on this issue. It can be very difficult to determine if and when each requirement is fulfilled. I think that there is a bigger case to opt for a scenario along the lines of "if it looks like it should be available now, then it is available now". Publication dates should be made as easy as possible to determine.

Stephen